CBD Oil for Acne: Can Help Clear Up Adult Acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that can affect people of all ages. While it is most commonly associated with teenagers, adults can also suffer from acne. Acne is caused by a variety of factors, including hormones, genetics, and inflammation.
CBD oil may be worth trying if you’re looking for a natural cure for adult acne. But don’t just take our word for it—let’s get into the details.
What Is Adult Acne and What Causes It?
Adult acne is a common skin condition that affects many people, regardless of age or gender. It occurs when hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells, forming pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads on the face, neck, chest, and back.
The exact cause of adult acne is not fully understood, but several factors can contribute to its development. These include:
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal fluctuations, such as those experienced during menstrual cycles, pregnancy, and menopause, can increase oil production and trigger breakouts.
- Stress: Stress can trigger the release of hormones that can increase oil production, leading to acne.
- Genetics: Acne can run in families and can be inherited.
- Medications: Certain medications, such as corticosteroids and lithium, can cause or worsen acne.
- Skincare products: Some skincare products, such as oil-based makeup, can clog pores and lead to acne breakouts.
There are many types of acne, but the most common form is acne vulgaris, which is characterized by the presence of comedones, papules, pustules, and/or nodules.
Comedones are small, flesh-colored bumps that form when hair follicles become clogged with sebum and dead skin cells. Papules are small, red bumps that occur when inflamed hair follicles rupture. Pustules are white or yellow pus-filled bumps, and nodules are large, hard bumps that form when the deep layers of skin become inflamed.
In summary, adult acne is a skin condition that results from the clogging of hair follicles with oil and dead skin cells, and can be caused by various factors including hormonal changes, stress, genetics, medications, and skincare products.
Does CBD Oil Help to Clear up Acne?
CBD is a natural hemp-derived ingredient that has shown promise — at least in the preliminary research.
Early investigations have found evidence it may reduce inflammation, sebum production, and the growth of bacteria. As a result, researchers and skincare experts theorize CBD may help clear up acne by reducing these factors.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution, but CBD oil for acne may be a helpful option for some people. If you’re considering using CBD for acne, speak with a skincare professional to ensure it fits within your skincare regimen.
Let’s Look at the Research into CBD Oil for Acne
CBD is a hot topic in the natural health and beauty world, with many people claiming that it has helped to clear up their acne. But what does the science say? It’s still early days in terms of research, but let’s look at what some preliminary studies show about CBD and acne.
A small study cited above showed that a topical CBD cream was effective in reducing inflammation and sebum production in human subjects with acne.
Another study, this time published in 2018, using hemp seed hexane extract (HSHE) and a cell model of acne, found that hemp extract could effectively reduce acne-related inflammation by reducing levels of certain inflammatory cytokines. Additionally, the hemp extract stopped the cells from overproducing an inflammatory radical.
A different paper found that using a product with 3% extract from cannabis seeds was safe for volunteers. The results showed that using the product decreased the amount of oil and redness on the skin compared to the control.
While more research is needed, the available evidence suggests that CBD may be a safe, helpful treatment for acne.
What Are Other Natural Cures for Adult Acne?
As well as CBD, there are several other natural options that can help clear up acne. These include:
- Eating a healthy diet: Eating healthy foods is essential for overall health. Diet can also help to reduce inflammation. Foods rich in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc can all help fight inflammation and reduce the risk of acne. You’ll find omega-3 fatty acids in foods like salmon, walnuts, and flaxseeds, and zinc in oysters, beef, and pumpkin seeds. Antioxidant-rich foods include berries, dark leafy greens, and tomatoes.
- Reducing stress levels: Reducing stress levels is also important for clear skin. Stress can trigger the release of hormones that can lead to the development of acne. To reduce stress, try yoga, meditation, or deep breathing exercises.
- Exfoliating the skin: Exfoliating the skin helps to remove dead skin cells and dirt that can clog pores and lead to breakouts. Look for an exfoliator that contains glycolic acid or salicylic acid. Natural exfoliators include sugar scrubs made with ingredients like honey or coconut oil.
Start Adding CBD Oil for Acne to Your Skincare Routine
No matter what type of adult acne you experience, you may want to start experimenting with a dash of CBD among other natural cures for adult acne. It’s a hemp-derived, all-natural, non-pore-clogging, and anti-inflammatory ingredient for skincare.
Combined with a broader skincare routine, a healthy diet, and stress relief, CBD could be the relief you are looking for. Check out the potential for yourself, shop our complete line of Clean Beauty and Wellness products today.